Frequently Asked Questions
- ITP 109 – Introduction to Java Programming
- Object-oriented programming language
- Great to learn before C++ or Objective-C (used for iOS apps)
- Android is built on Java, so this is a good language if you want to learn to create mobile apps
- ITP 115 – Programming in Python
- Great introductory language
- Clear syntax makes it an ideal first language
- Scripting language, which is great if you want to go into web development
- Used in Maya for digital animation
- ITP 165 – Introduction to C++ Programming
- The best way to learn programming fundamentals for iOS programming
- A good engineering language
- Best for high performance applications like video games
If you’re still struggling to determine which programming language would be the best fit, please feel free to contact the instructor(s) of the course.
Please note ITP minor and specialization coursework is not offered through distance education and must be taken in-person at the University Park Campus.
Non-degree seeking students should familiarize themselves with the process of enrolling as a limited status student at USC.
More information on specific ITP specializations can be found under Academics.