Senior Lecturer of Information Technology
- Master's Degree, Other Fine and Application Arts, California Institute Arts
- Bachelor's Degree, Other Fine and Application Arts, Washington University
Lance Winkel is an award winning animated filmmaker, film festival programmer, animation educator, and practicing artist. As an effects artist and animator, his commercial clients have included Ford, Honda, Nissan, and Warner Brothers.
His educational accomplishments include a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree in Interdisciplinary Visual Arts from the University of Washington and a Master of Fine Arts (MFA) degree in Experimental Animation from the California Institute of the Arts. While at CalArts, Lance studied both 3D computer graphics as well as traditional cinematography.
His graduate thesis "Within an Endless Sky" was the first film to be made at Cal Arts using the Maya software package. It won the first ever "Best Animated Short Film" award at the Newport Beach Film Festival and won the “Grand Prize – Digital Cinema” at the Digital Art Awards at Keio Research Institute in Fujisawa, Japan.
Lance has taught 3D Computer Graphics Animation for over a decade at many prominent universities across southern California. Lance joined the Information Technology Program at USC as a full-time lecturer in January 2008 and has been championing many exciting improvements to ITP's 3D Animation Curriculum and 3D Animation Minor.
- 2015 Newport Beach Film Festival Won the First "Best Animated Short Film" award at the Newport Beach Film Festival
- 2015 Keio Research Institute “Grand Prize – Digital Cinema” at the Digital Art Awards at Keio Research Institute in Fujisawa, Japan.
- Information Technology Program
- OHE 412
- Olin Hall of Engineering
- 3650 McClintock Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90089
- USC Mail Code: 1456
- (213) 740-4544