Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a specialization?
- How do I add a specialization?
- What classes are required for my specialization?
- Who should I contact if I have a question about my specialization requirements?
- How many classes should I take each semester?
- Can I take classes on a Pass/No Pass basis?
- How do I check my specialization requirements?
- Why doesn’t my specialization show up on my STARS report?
- How do I drop my specialization?
- How do I get my specialization certificate?
What is a specialization?
Specializations are an alternative for students interested in gaining experience who do not have space to complete a full minor program. Specializations may be completed by undergraduate students, graduate students, and limited status students.
ITP offers 14 specialization programs. Each specialization in ITP requires between 2 to 4 classes to complete (8 to 14 units).
Students who complete a specialization are eligible to receive a certificate upon graduation. Completed specializations do not appear on transcripts.
How do I add a specialization?
ITP offers 14 specialization programs, and you can pick a specialization that best fits your personal or career interests. You can add a specialization by completing our online application.
What classes are required for my specialization?
Class requirements for all ITP specializations can be found online. For all specializations at ITP:
- All specialization classes must be completed for a letter grade.
- You must earn a 2.0 minimum cumulative GPA in the specialization course work.
Who should I contact if I have a question about my specialization requirements?
You can contact our academic advisers at email@example.com with any questions about your specialization requirements.
How many classes should I take each semester?
It’s recommended that you enroll in a maximum of 2 ITP classes each semester. ITP classes are often skills-based, and students are usually more successful building upon skills incrementally.
Can I take classes on a Pass/No Pass basis?
No. All classes for your specialization must be completed for a letter grade.
How do I check my specialization requirements?
Class requirements for all ITP specializations can be found online. You should compare your specialization requirements with your completed classes before registering each semester.
Why doesn’t my specialization show up on my STARS report?
Specializations do not appear on STARS reports or transcripts.
How do I drop my specialization?
You can drop your specialization by emailing our academic advisers at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please email us from your official USC email address.
How do I get my specialization certificate?
Once you complete your specialization requirements, you will automatically receive your certificate upon graduation if you are an undergraduate or graduate student. If you are a limited status student, you will receive your certificate upon completion of your final required course. Specialization certificates are processed on the following dates:
- January 15 (fall graduates)
- June 15 (spring graduates)
- September 15 (summer graduates)
You must officially declare your specialization before the above deadlines in order to receive a certificate for that semester. Specialization certificates are 8.5" high and 11" wide.
Published on June 24th, 2019
Last updated on May 12th, 2021