Nitin Vasant Kale
Professor of Information Technology Practice and Industrial and Systems Engineering Practice
- 1989, Bachelor's Degree, Mechanical Engineering, Birla Institute of Tech & Science
- Master's Degree, Aerospace Engineer, University of Southern California
BiographyNitin Kalé is a Professor of Engineering Practice in the Information Technology Program (ITP) and the Epstein Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering (ISE) at the Viterbi School of Engineering, University of Southern California. He has taught at USC Viterbi since 1995 in the areas of Enterprise Information Systems, databases, data analytics, and machine learning. Nitin’s current areas of interest are blockchain, database modeling, enterprise information systems, business intelligence, big data analytics, machine learning and artificial intelligence. Nitin developed a minor in Enterprise Information Systems in 2012. In 2016 he led the effort to launch a Minor in Applied Analytics which has garnered popular interest from undergraduate students and grew to be the most enrolled minor at USC in 2020. Then came the Minor in Blockchain in 2019. His latest contribution is the creation of a new Minor in AI Applications, which as launched in August 2022.
Nitin is a mechanical and aerospace engineering by his undergraduate and graduate studies.
He is the recipient of the 2016 Majdi Najm Outstanding Service award from SAP University Alliances. In 2020, he received the John O’brien Faculty award for service from the USC Viterbi School.
Nitin travels extensively around the globe to speak at academic and industry events on technological advances and their integration in University curricula.
- 2020 Viterbi School of Engineering John O'Brien Faculty Service Award
- 2016 SAP University Alliances Academic Conference, San Diego SAP Majdi Najm Award for Outstanding Service
- 2014 Orthopaedic Institute for Children, Los Angeles Award for leadership and commitment to philanthropy through education,
- 2013 SAP University Alliances Visionary Member Award
- 2012 Epstein Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering Teacher of the Year for Excellence in Teaching and Dedication to Students
- 2005 Information Technology Program, VSoE Teaching Award
- 1998 Information Technology Program, VSoE Outstanding Faculty Award
- 1995 Graduate School Dissertation Fellowship
- 1994 Aerospace Engineering, USC Research Assistantship, Geophysical Fluid Dynamics
- Information Technology Program
- Daniel J Epstein Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering
- RRB 204
- Robert Glen Rapp Engineering Research Building
- 854 Downey Way, Los Angeles, CA 90089
- USC Mail Code: 1456
- (213) 740-7083