Connected Devices and Making
Minor and Specialization Program
The minor in Connected Devices and Making teaches undergraduate students how to design, develop, and control electronic devices. With more and more connected devices gathering data both for industrial applications as well as to help inform consumer decisions, the opportunity for skills in this area has increased rapidly. The goal is to produce students that can interface with hardware, design and manufacture physical systems, as well as program the software for control and communication.
- Software Developer
- Hardware Engineer
- Data Analyst
- Product Designer
- Product Tester
- UX Designer
- 3D printing
- Hardware design
- Firmware programming
- Data collection
Complements majors in:
- Iovine and Young Academy
- Roski School of Art and Design
- School of Architecture
- Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences
Choose one introductory programming course
“Introduction to Java Programming”
“Programming in Python”
“Introduction to C++ Programming”
Complete all of the following
“Computer-Aided Modeling for 3D Product Design”
“Introduction to Physical Computing”
Prerequisite: ITP-109, ITP-115, or ITP-165
“Connected Devices Project”
Prerequisites: ITP-228 and ITP-348
Choose 6 units of electives
“Database Systems for Analytics”
“Applied Statistics for Analytics”
“App Development for Phones and Tablets”
“Technologies and Practices for Analytics”
Prerequisites: ITP-250 and ITP-251
“Developing Connected Devices”
“Building the High-Tech Startup”
“Technologies for Interactive Marketing”
Policies to know
- Overlapping courses: Each minor at USC requires that at least 16 units be unique to the minor and not count toward any other requirement, including GE, your major, or another minor. This does not apply to specialization programs.
- Grading: All courses completed for a minor or specialization must be completed for a letter grade.
- GPA: A minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA must be achieved in the courses applied toward the minor or specialization requirements.
How can I add this program?
Current USC students can use our online application to declare a minor or specialization. Your application will be processed within 3 to 7 business days, and you will be notified at your official USC email address of your admission to the program of your choice.