Faculty Job Opportunities

The USC Viterbi School of Engineering is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty and welcomes applications from women, underrepresented groups, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. The Viterbi school was recently awarded the ASEE President’s Award for its continuing efforts to “change the conversation” about engineering and to develop nationally a robust and diverse engineering pipeline.

The Information Technology Program (http://itp.usc.edu) in the USC Viterbi School of Engineering (http://viterbi.usc.edu) seeks outstanding candidates for both full time and part time teaching positions.

These are teaching positions; all candidates are expected to have a strong commitment to teaching. Lecturers spend 80% of their time on teaching and teaching-related duties with the remaining 20% engaging in service to students, the program, and the university. While we seek applications at the level of Lecturer, qualified candidates with substantial teaching experience or relevant background may also be considered for a commensurate higher-ranked position.

We are seeking candidates who are committed to excellence in teaching and willing to contribute to engagement with and inclusion of students from a wide range of disciplines and cultural backgrounds.

Applications must include a cover letter, a curriculum vitae, a teaching statement, and names of at least three professional and/or teaching references as well as a statement about fostering an inclusive environment in the classroom. In order to receive full consideration, applications should be received by April 30, 2018. The semester hiring date is flexible starting as early as Fall 2018 with a join date of August 16, 2018.

The Information Technology Program (ITP) is an academic unit in the USC Viterbi School of Engineering. Its 18 full-time and 25+ part-time teaching faculty have built a collaborative community of faculty who are passionate about teaching and working with students. ITP provides engineering education to thousands of students from many majors, helping to guide students towards technical interests and career paths. The program offers courses in areas including programming, web and mobile development, video game design and programming, digital security and forensics, 3D computer graphics, analytics, enterprise information systems and digital entrepreneurship. Its award-winning faculty also work on initiatives such as increasing diversity in engineering, outreach to underserved communities, accessibility in technology, and technology for social impact.

The USC Viterbi School of Engineering is among the top tier engineering schools in the world, with research expenditures typically exceeding $185 million annually. It is home to institutions such as the Information Sciences Institute, two National Science Foundation Engineering Research Centers, and the Department of Homeland Security’s first University Center of Excellence, CREATE. The school is also affiliated with the Institute for Creative Technologies and the USC Stevens Center for Innovation.

USC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law or USC policy. USC will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring ordinance.

USC is committed to a vibrant and healthy work environment, being consistently honored as a “Great College to Work For” by the Chronicle of Higher Education. In addition to health, vision, and dental plans for employees, spouses / partners, and dependents, USC also provides services such as the Center for Work and Family Life, access to child care, and the Mindfulness program, as well as cultural events such as Vision and Voices. Deeply connected to the surrounding community, USC partners with local initiatives and encourages faculty to participate through programs such as Good Neighbors and CS@SC.

Minimum Education
Master’s degree in a STEM-related or industry-related field

Preferred Education
Ph.D. or equivalent advanced degree in a STEM-related or industry-related field

Required Documents

  • Cover letter
  • Teaching statement
  • Curriculum vitae
  • Names and contact information of three professional/teaching references
  • Statement about fostering an inclusive environment in the classroom (may be included in cover letter)

To apply: